Lockdown Day 3 – How to stay sane working from home
If you are usually working in an office, motivated by your team and the structure put in place by your managers, working from home can be quite a daunting experience.
It can be easy to feel that you are not getting anything done and a sense of stress/panic may set it, so:
- Wear work clothes. Pretend you are going to the office in your normal attire.
- Track your time – either on paper or with the many good apps. Break it down by section of work or client.
- Make a checklist at the start of every day, preferably on paper.
- Add to the list little incidental tasks you didn’t first think of, even if quite minor.
- Tick off everything you’ve done during the day.
In terms of sanity:
- Take the time to have tea breaks.
- Take them away from the “office” preferably in the garden.
- Don’t listen to the news all day. Find some good music or, if you can concentrate with the spoken word, find some good podcasts or audio books.
- Don’t snack.
- Stand up regularly and stretch.
- Take calls whilst walking if you don’t have to be right in front of your computer.
- Plan some exercise at lunch time or in the evening.
Make the effort to keep in touch with your colleagues.
- Have a morning catch up.
- During the day, ask them how they are and what’s their setup like.
- Don’t get mad if they appear not to be working as much as you, it’s not a race to the bottom, and their circumstances might be different to yours.
- Make a conscious effort to be forgiving, the kitchen might be messy, the kids might start to get crazy. It’s new for all of us, and as an adult we have to be a sponge for some of the stress.
- Try to get some one to one time with each family member, either for a game or chat or cooking together.
End of day:
- Look at your list to see what you’ve achieved and be happy about any of the ticks, no matter how minor!
- Think of something or someone that you should be thankful to. Even if small.
- Try to get the whole family to do the same.
Mostly remember that this will end. Also that we are incredibly lucky.
Message us if you need any help.